Restaurant Review


There’s no shortage of Mexican restaurants around Bowling Green. From Mex Out to El Maz to Puerto’s, a delicious meal is only ever a few minutes away. One of the lesser known spots is Los Mariachis. Located by the Scottsville Road Kroger, Los Mariachis provides yet another, albeit not as good, option for those craving a Mexican meal.

When you walk inside, the entire restaurant is colorful and was comprised of recycled furniture Riviera Maya Bar and Grill, the restaurant previously located there. At first, the service was quick and attentive, but as the night went on, the service declined, as it took over 20 minutes to get our checks. Overall, there are valid reasons why this restaurant is so overshadowed by the other powerhouses of Mexican food in Bowling Green.

Hemi: I ordered the Chef’s Special, a very simple meal consisting of a bed of rice with chicken and cheese. Most Mexican restaurants offer this option, but Los Mariachis’ version provides a much more authentic flavor than other local restaurants like El Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta. The serving is enough to be filling, and coming in at only $8.99, it’s cheaper than alternatives at more popular local locations. While the special is “basic,” the slightly spicy seasoning gives a kick that makes every bite a subtle yet memorable experience. While slightly muted, the flavor gives the dish exactly what it needs. The generous amount of cheese salsa offers a good texture and helps bring the rice and chicken together.

Gwen: I ordered a beef chimichanga, a flour tortilla stuffed with beef chunks and fried, topped with cheese sauce, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, and pico de gallo, and served with rice and beans. Typically, when I eat at Mexican restaurants, I order a beef chimichanga because it is my favorite item on the menu. However, this chimichanga fell short.. The pico de gallo, guacamole, rice and beans were all great and tasty, but they weren’t anything more than the items served at other Mexican restaurants. I would’ve loved this meal if it wasn’t for the beef chunks inside the tortilla. They were small, extremely dry cubes of beef with seemingly no seasoning whatsoever. However, despite the disappointing chimichanga itself, the rest of the plate (the rice, beans, guacamole and pico de gallo) was solid. Plust, the vibe of the restaurant and endearing workers were a welcoming. While I likely would not order the chimichanga again, I won’t let dry beef completely ruin my view of Los Mariachis.

Cole: I ordered the chicken taquitos mexicanos, four crispy rolled corn tortillas stuffed with chicken and jalapeňos, along with sour cream and guacamole salad on the side. Whenever I eat at a Mexican restaurant, if I see taquitos on the menu, I almost immediately order them. The ones I ate at Los Mariachis were the worst ones I’ve had in a long time. The chicken was tough to bite into and had very little seasoning. This made the whole dish dry, and I had to take consistent drinks of water to counter it, which did not help the lack of flavor. Not to mention the grease from the chicken made the corn tortillas soggy on the bottom, taking away from the signature crunchiness of a taquito and making it unpleasant to eat. I don’t think the restaurant overall was bad, as the service was kind, but I ordered the wrong dish. If I came to Los Mariachi’s again I would have to order something else like the Chef Special. But, the next time I want Mexican food, I’m going to El Maz.
By: Hemi Bell, Gwen Hatcher, and Cole Rubin